Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Here's a copy of an email I just sent to my Senators and Congressman. Our soldiers are being ordered to take an Anthrax Vaccine. My letter:

My son, PFC Seth Lovell, serves with the Virginia National Guard and is currently stationed in Afghanistan with the 3-116th Infantry. These soldiers are currently being told that they must take the Anthrax Vaccine. My research into the Anthrax Vaccine gives me grave doubts about the wisdom this action. It appears that the vaccine is untested, unproven and possibly dangerous. The FDA's new label (2002) on the anthrax vaccine admits to a systemic averse reaction rate of between 5% and 35% - whereas previously, the DoD claimed it was a mere .02%. Since then, the GAO has come out with a new report estimating the systemic adverse reaction rate is probably as high as 85%. Congressional hearings on the Anthrax Vaccine seriously questioned the wisdom of the program.
My son is seeking my advice on whether to accept this vaccine. He reports that a number of soldiers are considering refusing the vaccine and accepting the consequences. The problem with this approach is that the punishments have varied widely. Punishments for refusing the vaccine have ranged from nothing - with a troop member being deployed anyway, without vaccination - to a court-martial, fines, time in the brig, docked pay, reduction in rank, and/or a less-than-honorable discharge. Some refusers end up being convicted felons for life after serving jail time, while others face non-judicial punishments so that the armed forces can exclude them from punishment statistics reserved for judicial proceedings (i.e., courts-martial). Others are allowed to leave quietly and get on with their lives. Still others are allowed to continue to serve. Needless to say, there is no standard of discipline, simply because the anthrax mandate is known to be a bad order.
I am very concerned that during this time of war and great national need, we are subjecting our soldiers to a needless and possibly harmful vaccine that could impair their ability to serve their country and force them to make a decision that could jeopardize their military career and their health. On a more personal level, my primary concern at this time is how to advise my son. My son made a decision to serve his country. His education at James Madison University has been interrupted by deployment to Afghanistan. I am proud that he has made a choice that too few young people feel compelled to make. We should not be subjecting our soldiers to this situation.

No comments: