Sunday, October 17, 2004

Two Soldiers Killed

Sunday morning our paper carried a brief article stating that two American Soldiers had been killed in Afghanistan. That's it - two American Soldiers killed. No date, time, Division, Company - nothing. Of course we knew that Seth had been out on patrol. I remember feeling this way when the doctor told us that Jan had cancer. My world is turned upside down. Rationally I could think of all the reasons why this couldn't be Seth, but rational thinking is not something that carries a lot of weight at a time like this. I went to church this morning with a heavy heart, prayed with Jason and went through the 8:30 service without really focusing on the service. I met Jan outside when she arrived at 9:30 and she told me that she had found some more information on the internet that told her that Seth's Company was not involved in this action. My relief became some other family's sorrow. I've thought about that all day today. As I was learning that my son was safe, some other family was learning that their son had died. I know we need to be in Afghanistan....I trust that it's right. I just want it to end.
Seth called right as Church ended. What a wonderful sound, to hear his voice.