Thursday, March 06, 2008

A student at Wilson Memorial High School died Tuesday night in a single car accident. She was in 11th grade and active in many things...softball, music, cheerleading. I had her as a middle school student and Seth and Eli graduated with her brother. Here's part of an email from Jan that she sent to Seth and Eli:

Today I spent an hour in the parking lot as students gathered around her parking spot, filling it with flowers and stuffed animals and pictures. Messages in chalk were written on the pavement. Her parents and brothers and grandparents were there. I talked with all the family members briefly. It was very sad and I’m tired before the day has even started.

The one bright spot is that Katy let us know today that she had heard from Eli so I know you guys are exhausted but okay and will hopefully be back at the base by Saturday or Sunday! On Wednesday morning as the faculty was hearing the news for the first time, many teachers said, “I need to hug my children. It hit me hard that I had no idea where two of my children were or if they even were safe so the news from Katy this morning was greatly appreciated.


I walked to the end of my hallway when I read Jan's email. I can see the WMHS parking lot from our school. As I looked at the space filled with flowers I cried for the family and for every family that has lost loved ones. During the time that I've been writing this blog I've been acutely aware of loss and grieving. It's time for Seth and Eli to come home.....if just for a hug.

No comments: