Sunday, July 29, 2007

Another email from Texas

Well, last time I wrote I was complaining of the heat, now I want to complain about the rain. I spent 18 weeks in Texas in 2004 and I thoroughly enjoyed my time (well, thoroughly might be pushing it, but I have fond memories of that time) and so I realize what a Texas thunderstorm can be like, and I am starting to realize all over again! Katy keeps saying to me, "everytime I talk to you, you say its raining!" Well, that's the truth. We have had a lot of rain lately, and I'm not talking about a gentle rain storm that lightly saturates the soil, I am talking about a hellacious thunderstorm that drenches through military uniforms and has cut off our power, including our window AC units in the classroom!
Other then the rain there is not too much exciting to report. We have finished our crash course in EMT-B training and I passed the written and practical exam and will be able to renew my EMT license for another two years. We have been playing lots of volleyball in the evenings which is a great stress reliever. We have lit courts and so we will play for several hours. I haven't let my volleyball playing cut into my phone time with my lovely wife, however I have let it cut into what little sleep I was getting and my time to study. I always was good at prioritizing.
Tomorrow marks one week left in Texas, and we start our combat training. We will be in "full battle-rattle" starting tomorrow. That consists of my ACH (army combat helmet), IBA (individual body armor), camelback (hydration system which holds 3 liters of water), and our pro masks (gas masks). We will carry around "dummy" rifles since even though we are medics, we are "soldiers first".
Tomorrow we will forget about being EMTs because they are civillian medics. Tomorrow we start applying tourniquets, giving IVs, and forgetting about spinal compromise because if you're getting shot at, you don't strap them to a long board you just grab 'em and get 'em the hell out of there! During EMT training they pound into your head that you always have to check "scene safety" before approaching an emergency. If the scene is hazardous and not secure you have to wait until police, HAZMAT, or whoever is needed to secure the scene arrives. You never go to a scene that is unsafe! In the militaryits a little different, we help secure the scene, hence the M4s and M9s we carry. Oh the subtle differences of an EMT and a combat medic!
My prayer is it will be an uneventful year, and even though all this training is really good and will make me a better medic, it will be useless information for the next 12 months. I hope you all are doing well, I am thinking of and missing all my family and friends.
Love,
Eli

No comments: