Sunday, January 20, 2008

Email from Seth

Dear Family and Friends,
My journey home began last Saturday morning at the Richmond airport. After some very hard and tearful goodbyes I boarded the plane on the way to Atlanta. It was hard to say goodbye again, but I felt good in the knowledge that this would be my last time saying goodbye to the people that I love the most. These next couple months will be the final stage in this deployment, and I plan on making the most of my time and not wishing the days away.
After arriving in Atlanta I found out that I would be stuck in Atlanta for the night, and would be put up in a hotel. I had no complaints, it was a nice opportunity to get some more rest. I spent the afternoon laying around in the hotel and watching Brett Farve and the Packers take apart the Seattle Seahawks. The next day I was able to get a flight, and the evening of the 13th I headed overseas. We stopped first in Germany, and then in Kuwait at Ali Al Salem Air Base. We spent the night in Kuwait, then headed to Iraq the next day on a military cargo plane called a C-130. Military flights are not intended for comfort, they are simply meant to get as many soldiers to a destination as possible. It was a very uncomfortable flight, but luckily it only lasted about two hours. After returning to Iraq on Monday January 14th I found out that our Squad was short on people, and that I was needed to head out on a patrol on th e 16th. This meant a full day of work on the 15th, and then up early for a trip outside the wire on the Wednesday. I did not have much time to catch my breath, and am still trying to fully get back in the swing of things and get adjusted to this schedule.
I am missing my roommate, but have enjoyed seeing all my buddies again and catching up. It is good to be back, because I know that the end is in sight. Not much has changed over here, and our mission, and convoy tempo remains pretty much the same. The squads are still picking up about two to three patrols a week, and are typically still getting one day off a week.
Leave was a wonderful time, and I want to thank all of you that helped make it so enjoyable. To all of my family and friends that I had the pleasure of visiting with it was great to see you all, and spend quality time visiting. There are many of you that I did not get to see, and for that I apologize. Fifteen days is just not enough time to see everyone that I would of liked. For all of you, thank you for your continued prayers and support. I am happy to be back, and ready to get this time over with. Before we know it I will be back home to the family, friends, and the life that I love. I hope this e-mail finds you all doing well, and having a great week. Take care and I look forward to talking to you all very soon,
Lots of Love and Peace from the MiddleEast,
Seth

No comments: