Monday, January 14, 2008

I remember this feeling...........

For the fourth time we said goodbye to Seth as he leaves to play his part in the "War on Terror." It doesn't get any easier to watch him walk away and board a plane. Standing in the Richmond airport watching Jan and Brittany cry my heart broke again. I held Seth, told him I loved him and whispered for him to be safe. I hope God heard that plea. Airports allow service member's families to go past security and wait with their soldiers at the gate. There was another soldier boarding the same plane and I watched as a mother and wife said their goodbyes and cried on his shoulder. As we sat with Seth a gentleman walked up, shook Seth's hand and quietly said "Thank you." Highs and lows......saying goodbye, seeing gratitude expressed. I don't believe in our President, but I certainly believe in my son, all our soldiers and the inherent goodness and gratitude of most Americans.
Seth left Atlanta last night around 6:00 PM and barring complications will probably be back at Al Asad by Wednesday. Sitting at home last night after talking to him on the phone one last time and saying goodbye I realized how much this affects me. For the last two weeks I've felt like all was right with my world. Today, the aches and pains have returned, real and imagined. A heart does feel pain.
I know Seth is happy that Eli has a few more days at home, but he will miss his brother. Seth said that most people that share housing at the base are happy when their roommate is out on a mission, preferring some quiet time alone in their room. He and Eli prefer to be together and miss each other when they're out on separate missions. Seth will be looking forward to the return of his roommate.
Eli update.....there isn't any. He's still sitting at home, suffering, drinking fluids and hoping to pass a stone. Stay tuned!

No comments: