Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Little Perspective

Those of you who have read my blog for awhile know that I struggle with some anger issues...anger at George Bush, George Bush supporters, society in general....and the list goes on. I posted a George Bush joke last week that I removed after my wife took me to task stating she thought it was a little over the top for a blog read by family and friends. I tend to get wrapped up in my own little world that is powered by concern for the safety of my sons as they serve in Iraq. When this whole process started Jan and I talked about the dangers of living in this box and letting it dominate our lives. I know that's a danger and I've let it happen to me repeatedly. Every once in awhile, however, something happens that gives you a little perspective. For me it was two pieces of news. The first was about the husband of an Augusta County Teacher. This teacher has been Seth and Eli's coach, teacher and friend. Last week, her 34 year old husband was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Their battle is beginning and I can not fathom the pain and fear they are facing. The second piece of news came when we learned that the daughter of a friend and former colleague of Jan's committed suicide. She had two children - a daughter and a son. About ten years ago the son committed suicide. Again, I can't begin to imagine the pain.
A little perspective is a good thing. My sons are healthy and doing something good. I watched a video the other day of a news show from Washington, DC that a reporter sent to me. It was the news report from Woodstock when the Guard was deployed to Iraq. Seth and I were interviewed. I spoke then about my pride in my sons, who have seen something larger....something bigger than themselves. They were learning about duty and obligation and sacrifice. Even though I would prefer to have Seth and Eli home, life is good. I am content thanks to a little perspective.
Eli traveled to Baghdad this week but is now back at Al Asad. He was a day late returning due to sand storms and Seth is apparently dealing with the same storms keeping him outside the wire a little longer than planned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for perspective, Ed. Your honesty and courage and the selfless service of Seth and Eli also provide a lot of perspective for the not-so-important things that bog me down.