Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Join the Guard....get your education paid.....

This is the body of a letter I recently sent to Jim Webb our state senator:

I have twin sons serving in the Virginia National Guard. This letter concerns an unfair issue with National and State Tuition Assistance. Eli and Seth joined the Guard on the same date and completed basic training, Seth in Infantry and Eli as a Medic. Eli was not deployed and completed four years of college receiving state and federal tuition assistance graduating from Bridgewater College. Seth was deployed to Afghanistan out of basic training. Both are now deployed to Iraq. Neither son plans to reenlist. Due to rules governing tuition assistance, Seth will no longer receive aid unless he reenlists. Current rules state that tuition assistance is not available if you have less than two years left on your enlistment period. He is being penalized for his two deployments. Instead of being rewarded for giving over two years of his life in service to his country he is penalized! If he had never been deployed, he would have finished college receiving state and federal tuition assistance. Eli had the good fortune to finish college before his first deployment. Seth was not so fortunate and will now incur more loans to finish his education once he completes serving his country.
This is an issue that demands attention and I want to know what can be done to bring this issue to the forefront.

I look forward to hearing from you on this issue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not a day goes by that i don't think of Eli and Seth! I have their pictures at home and at work. I give my both of my girls an extra hug and kiss! I read Ed's blog. I read Eli's e-mails. I think of Katy and Brit...young wives without their husbands beside them each night. I shed tears when I think of Ed and Jan's sadness and fear. And for some reason...I think of Joshua's tatoo. "Peace"... And I have no doubt, like many folks, I think besides my love and prayers...what can I do?!?!? Growing up, my family was neighbors with one of our current PA State Senators, Pat Vance. I'll forward this letter to Senator Vance. It may be a "small thing"...but lots of littles add up to big. I'm sure that this shameful injustice has hit soldiers from every state. After serving his country twice, Seth does NOT deserve this financial burden! I'll write my letter this weekend. Who can you forward Ed's letter too??? (And on the way up to bed tonight...I'll kiss my girls one more time because I can. THAT I'll do for my brother...Eddie!)