Sunday, April 13, 2008

Cue the music.................the theme music from Welcome Back Kotter....John Sebastian singing "Welcome Back:"
Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out
Welcome back to that same old place that you laughed about
Well, the names have all changed since you hung around
But those dreams have remained and they've turned around
A swell of patriotic music - Perhaps "I'm Proud to be an American" or something equally capable of bringing tears to your eyes.

The music screeches.....remember old 45's and 33's when you didn't quite get the needle lifted cleanly..............and then

The Foundations singing:
Why do you build me up, Buttercup, baby
Just to let me down and mess me around
And then worst of all you never call, baby
When you say you will, but I love you still
I need you more than anyone darling
You know that I have from the start
So build me up, Buttercup, don't break my heart

Break our hearts they did! We learned early on during basic training that the Army likes to mess with you. We developed a saying: Nothing is definite until it's over! The Army strikes again. The countdown on my computer says "Bye, Bye Iraq!...Today is the Day!" I have to reset the counter because the Army says Today isn't the Day. Seth and Eli's departure has been delayed by a week. They had their change of command ceremony, the guys were pumped and ready to leave, and "hold on there - just a minute....not yet!
Why do you build me up buttercup baby
Just to let me down and mess me around!

No comments: