Monday, April 21, 2008

No news is good news?

Have you ever sat on pins and needles....of course you have - everyone has had the experience of "expectation." Waiting with bated breathe....I didn't have a clue where that expression came from but it's something I've used growing up so I did a little research.
Shakespeare is the first writer known to use it, in The Merchant of Venice, in which Shylock says to Antonio: “Shall I bend low and, in a bondman’s key, / With bated breath and whisp’ring humbleness, / Say this ...”. Nearly three centuries later, Mark Twain employed it in Tom Sawyer: “Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale”.

The term means a heightened sense of expectation so intense that it becomes a tangible feeling....I never knew I was such a literate person to go around quoting Shakespeare and Mark Twain, but now you know how I feel! I'm waiting with bated breath and assuming that no news is good news. If the boys were hung up somewhere I'm assuming we would have heard.
Keep posted for breaking news! I hope soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just got a call from Scott and the boys are in Ireland. Thank God they are out of there!

Lovell said...

Thanks for the Info....I don't need all those guys home...I just needed them out of Iraq. Praise God!

Chewie said...

YAY! Everyone I know has heard about your boys. We're all relieved and very happy they are coming home. Now let's hope we can get ALL our soldiers home.