Thursday, April 17, 2008

John McCain and the New GI Bill

Having built his own career on his service and suffering in Vietnam, he surely must be aware that the new generation of vets receives nothing like the assistance made available to those who served with him in Viet Nam or in Korea or in World War II -- because the landmark bill (pushed by progressive liberals by the way) has not been updated for many years. The current level of benefits doesn't cover even half the cost of state college tuition for most soldiers. The original bill included full college tuition, books and spending money as well as no down payment, low interest house loans.

Sens. James Webb of Virginia and Chuck Hagel of Nebraska wrote the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act, whose cost is estimated at less than $4 billion, or approximately one-tenth of 1 percent in the total expense of the current war. They have gathered 53 co-sponsors, including nine Republicans and three of the four other Vietnam veterans in the Senate, but they need 60 to defeat a likely filibuster by conservatives who've never served.
Incredibly, McCain has so far refused to add his name to the sponsors. His excuse is he has not had any time to read the bill during the past year or so. He has time to glorify his contributions as a member of the "Greatest Generation" but, he has no time for today's soldiers. He has no time to insure that they have the same benefits he had when he returned from Viet Nam. McCain called Obama an elitist for his comments last week about rural Americans and their gun and church. If anyone knows the meaning of elitist surely it's John McCain.

3 comments:

Va guardsman said...

I know the twins and am proudly serving with them in Iraq...your blog has become popular over here and reading it has only helped solidify my feelings...I used to consider myself Republican..but war (and other things) have caused me to change my political identity...when I get home I would like nothing more then to be able to afford an education, but with the little benefits we get and the cost of college, I am not sure that is an option for me...I am hoping and praying Webb's bill goes through...I saw McCain on tv the other day boasting about his military service (which is appreciated) and how he is the candidate that will support the troops and how he wants to take care of us, yet he wants to keep this senseless war raging and risk more American lives, and he doesn't give, what should be his overwhelming, support to this bill...it costs nothing compared to what this war has cost and what we give to these civillian contractors!!!! I have enjoyed reading your blog...thak you for posting. You have two very fine boys and should be proud.

Lovell said...

Thanks for your comments and thank you for your service. I have great respect for every man and woman who has served. You are the people who make this country great and you are the next great generation! As veterans of Afghanistan and Iraq return and join in the political process you will have the power to make great changes in how America interacts with the rest of the World. Don't give up your hopes of attending college...if you can dream it you can do it. I believe that someday soon America will put more behind the slogan "Support the Troops" than empty words. We owe you everything.
Thanks for your kind words about Seth and Eli. They speak very highly of every individual they service with.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for making me more aware of the lack of support funding-wise for our soldiers. I've made those whom I know aware of this same issue in hopes of raising awareness. I hope Sen. Webb's bill goes through and I will do what I can to make others aware that it needs to go through.

McCain makes me ill - I'm glad he served and more power to him, but our soldiers are just important today as there were in his era.